Superfoods Friday ~ Spaghetti Squash
Hello friends and welcome to Superfoods Friday
I’ve read other bloggers tout the greatness of the Spaghetti Squash and I knew it was a great Superfood, however, it was only recently that I discovered it’s actual goodness, and I loved it!
- Spaghetti squash is low in calories, with only about 42 calories per serving (about a cup), this vegetable is a great swap for higher calorie ingredients.
- Spaghetti squash is gluten free and because of its texture, it makes a great swap for actual spaghetti.
- Spaghetti squash is a good source of fiber.
- Spaghetti squash has a variety of other vitamins and minerals like potassium, vitamin C, beta carotene, and a number of others to support your overall health.
- This winter squash also promotes blood sugar control, and has a cholesterol lowering effect that protects us from various forms of cancer.
I picked up a yellow Spaghetti Squash at Food Lion along with a can of Roasted Garlic and Onion Pasta Sauce. Since I had never prepared Spaghetti Squash I had to read several online recipes.
After cutting the squash in half, I removed the seeds but kept them on the baking sheet. Sprinkled each side with a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil and basil then placed each half upside down on the baking sheet. Put into the preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Note: it is very hard to cut, so poke a few holes in it first then microwave for 15 minutes to soften it up.
The roasted seeds are also awesome!
While the Spaghetti Squash baked in the oven, I heated up the pasta sauce adding a little more sprinkles of basil and garlic salt. After I removed the squash from the oven, allowing it to cool for 20 minutes then used a fork to scrape out the strands and placed into a bowl.
Poured the warmed sauce over top and stirred lightly for a delicious and healthy meal.
When I posted a pic on Instagram and Facebook, a few people gave me some other suggestions which I will try the next time. What about you, do you have any ideas for add-ins or maybe other ways in which to cook this Superfood Spaghetti Squash?
Stay Blessed ~ No Stress in 2014!