In celebration of my 54th Birthday last month and in anticipation of Crocktober I wanted to try a new Crock Pot recipe. I found one online at Billy Parisi’s website and put my own little twist onto it to make this easy and inexpensive meal which was by far more flavorful than I anticipated.
- 1 package of chicken thighs browned in olive oil
- 2 cans of whole tomatoes and juice
- 1 can of chick peas, strained and rinsed
- 1 small diced small yellow onion
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup of assorted pitted Mediterranean olives
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 6 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup (or more) white cooking wine (optional)
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Feta cheese for garnish
Cook the chicken thighs in a little olive or vegetable oil until browned, as this will add more color and flavor to the dish.
Put all ingredients into a slow cooker coated with cooking spray and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. Before serving sprinkle on a little salt and pepper to taste then serve over cooked brown rice and garnish with Feta cheese.
This was such a flavorful dish that both my son and I went back for seconds and it was more than enough for leftovers for the following day.
Check out my YouTube channel to see this recipe in action!
I used the entire jar of olives however, you can use less if you prefer. You can also freeze any leftovers just make sure you allow it to cool first.
Do you have any Crocktober recipes to share?