Mid Atlantic Wine & Food Festival
Hello friends, I hope all is well in your world. On Sunday I attended the 2015 Mid Atlantic Wine & Food Festival which was held in The Atrium of the Community Education Building in Wilmington. It was a fantastic fundraising brunchtime fete filled with food, fun, wine and enthusiastic entertainment.
The Atrium was filled with tasty foods from 18 MidAtlantic chefs plus local wines, brews and spirits. I wanted to try a tapa from each of the participating restaurants, but instead I chose restraint. I did however, have an opportunity to sample the Peach Cobbler Cupcakes with Bacon Ice Cream from Desserts by Dana; it was an explosion of goodness. The Egg Yolk Ravioli with Pancetta and White Wine Sauce was also an awesome creation from Piccolina Toscana.
The Whipped Goat Cheese with Soy Pickled Shiitake and Chai Tea Pickled Grapes was a tantalizing treat to the palate and this creation was made by the chef from Wilmington Pickling Company.
You know me, I couldn’t bypass the Wine Tasting or Bloody Mary Bars however, I only had one glass of a wonderful Sparkling Vidal from Crow Farm and Vineyard and a Calini Prosecco from the Tricky Rabbit brand. I had no idea that there was a distillery literally in my backyard, about 30 miles south in Smyrna. Ron Gomes from Painted Stave had an assortment of cocktails and after trying just one I knew it was definitely worth taking a 20 minute drive down to make a few purchases!
The presentations and tapas were excellent, including the Pickled Egg Salad on Toast with Lox, Smoked Egg Aioli and Chervil created by SoDel Concepts. Culinary Art students from William Penn HS Bistro at Penn Farm created several tasty treats including the “Gimlet”, Surf Clams with Lime Pudding and the Shallot-Cucumber Marmalade and Thai Pepper.
In addition to the extensive array of foods and wines, there were energetic and soulful performances by students from the Christiana Cultural Arts Center and Ku’umba Academy. A portion of the proceeds were to help them with the purchase of instruments, check out their performances on my YouTube channel. Lively music was played throughout the day by local DJ’s: Zip, Jang O’Fett and DJ JMack.
There were so many smiling faces and friendly people in the Atrium that in between taking pics and sips I did a little networking; business card exchanging and thoroughly enjoyed meeting some new folks.
I am looking forward to attending the next Taste of the MidAtlantic event and hope to spend more time taste testing because I did miss out on these treats:
- Caffe’ Gelato – Crispy Poached Quail Eggs with Crispy Prosciutto served on toasted brioche with Hollandaise sauce, Boucheron and Cheese Gelato
- Buckley’s Tavern – House Smoked Salmon with Herb Cream Cheese
- Centreville Cafe’ and Montrachet Fine Foods – Venison Sliders
- Cock ‘n Bull Restaurant at Peddler’s Village – Steamed Pork Buns
- Hotel du Pont – Vanilla Bean Fromage de Chevre Cheesecake Spheres with Strawberry Thyme Infusion and Graham Cracker Crust
- Hotel du Pont – Beek Deckle Tartine on Carmelized Onion Brioche, Leek Ash and Horseradish Gelee
- La Fia Wilmington – Chorizo Tarts
- Obis One Black Garlic – Black Garlic products
- Olevano Extra Virgin Olive Oil – I did however, get a sample of their olive oil body cream and I can’t wait to try it!
- Stone Balloon Ale House – Sausage, Egg and Cheese Biscuit Risotto Fritters
- The Telford Inn – Pork Belly Sliders with Pork Belly Confit, Black Garlic-Tomato Jam, Root Vegetable Slaw and Gougere
- Drip Cafe’ – and as much as I need a cup of coffee, I never stopped to have one!
You busy thing you! Looks like lots of fun.
Yes it was awesome and I was exhausted when I got home – full and happy!
Oh, that food sounds amazing! I am hungry now!
Sarah, I know what you mean, I wish I had a few of those tapas today!
Omg this is absolutely amazing! Looks like a blast! I would have loved to attend a food and wine festival, two great combos.
–Me and My Mini Me
It was awesome, wish I had taken more time to nosh instead of take pics because the foods I did taste were wonderful.
Peach cobbler cupcakes, what what? Sounds delicious and the event looked like big fun!
Gurl…and you know I don’t eat pork, but I had to sample the ice cream and it was orgasmic!
What a lovely event and you are hi-stylin!
Oh…you make me smile as usual. It was fun and the food and wine was excellent. Enjoy the weekend my friend.
Scrumptious food, wonderful new friends and a deserving cause…who could ask for more? Your superb account of this affair makes anyone’s mouth water for the next one!
Thank you, it was a great event.
[…] you read my previous post from the #MAWFF kick off event at The Atrium then you know that this was an awesome way to spend a beautiful Sunday […]